Sunday, November 06, 2005

What princess could be more fun than a caterpillar?

My daughter is now 13 months old and her favourite book is “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” by Eric Carle. She’ll come up to me, point at the book shelf and say “Boo, boo.” When I take out two books she always points to Carle’s book and when I start reading she insists on first turning to the page where the caterpillar turns into a butterfly and then sticking her little fingers into the tiny holes the caterpillar made in the various fruit. She has even learned how to say ‘caterpillar’. Well, sort of. She just says “Peh, peh” but we know what she means.

As I had already previously mentioned, I far prefer these kinds of books to most of the so called ‘classic’ stories that are just adult stories that have been sugar-coated and dumbed down for children. Here’s to stories that open children’s eye to the wonder of this world instead of trapping them in adult idiocies like who is a princess (once you find out, avoid her) or whether the toad is a prince (doesn’t matter, he’s a toad so avoid him, too).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home