Friday, April 22, 2005

Which evil would you vanquish first?

Imagine you have just been elected Pope. You are now the head of the World's most powerful religious organisation and your opinion is heard all round the planet. Which of the great evils that trouble the world would you inveigh against first? Would it be the massive environmental damage which we are currently doing to the planet – likely to cause the collapse of our civilisation if not our outright extinction? Would it be the disgraceful and rapidly increasing inequality between the south and the north that you would have one of your spokesmen describe as ‘iniquitous’? Perhaps you would start with a clear statement of your opposition to the various dictatorships that oppress and murder millions in many countries? Which of the these great evils would you chose to say a clear ‘no’ to first? Or would you oppose the ‘intrinsic moral evil’ of people who love each other having the right to get married to each other? I don’t know about you but I probably wouldn’t. But then I am not the Pope. As BBC reports:

Pope Benedict XVI has responded firmly to the first challenge of his papacy by condemning a Spanish government bill allowing marriage between homosexuals.

My problem is that I just don’t get it. I simply do not understand what is the problem so many people have with homosexuality. It seems to me just as irrational as disliking people who like to eat steak tartare or who wear stripy shirts – neither of these activities being something I find myself personally attracted to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home